Massage is perhaps one of the oldest healing traditions. Many cultures – including the Ancient Greeks, Egyptians, Chinese and Indians – were convinced of the therapeutic properties of massage and used it to treat a variety of ailments.
• One of the immediate benefits of massage is a feeling of deep relaxation and calm.
• This occurs because massage prompts the release of endorphins, the brain chemicals that produce feelings of wellbeing.
• Levels of stress hormones, are also reduced.
• Some of the physical benefits of massage include:
• Reduced muscle tension
• Improved circulation
• Stimulation of the lymphatic system
• Reduction of stress hormones
• Increased joint mobility and flexibility
• Improved skin tone
• Speedier healing of soft tissue injuries
• Heightened mental alertness
• Reduced anxiety and depression.